This broad gauge branch line opened to Yea in 1883 and Mansfield in 1891. A further branch off from Cathkin reached Alexandra in 1909. The entire line closed in 1978 along with many other branch lines across Victoria.
Apart frrom the Bonnie Doon bridge, which opened in 2000, the first major stage of the rail trail opened in August 2010. The entire trail was opened by Autumn 2012.
NEW RAIL TRAIL APP coming soon, watch this space……….
- A high standard rail trail traversing undulating farmland.
- Features the only tunnel on a rail trail in Victoria and a long bridge across Lake Eildon.
- Almost all of the bridges have been made traffic-able and the few low crossings are easily graded.
- There are several crossings of major rural highways
- The surface is either a bitumised granite, which is suitable for wheel chairs and prams, and compacted gravel which may not be suitable for wheel chairs and prams in sections. Where possible a separate bridle path is provided for horses.
Please report any issues to the Rail Trail Project Officer at the Mansfield shire on Ph: (03) 5775 8571
Article information taken from railtrails.org.au
Mansfield Mt Buller Cycling Club (MMBCC) is just a fantastic club to get involved locally or if your a new rider to the town. For more information see the link http://www.mmbcc.org.au/ for more information on this great cycling club in Mansfield Mt Buller.
Pick up a Ride Calendar from All Terrain Cycles, 58 High Street, Mansfield, or download the 2011/12 Road and MTB calendar.